Re: dash as default /bin/sh and bashisms-free archive RGs

Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le mercredi 15 avril 2009 à 11:44 -0500, Raphael Geissert a écrit :
[...]
>> And taking your statement to the extreme, it means that if zsh was used
>> as /bin/sh then no other shell interpreter could ever be used as /bin/sh
>> ever again but a fork of zsh.
>
> I’m proposing to do the exact opposite. But I see you are only
> interested in trolling, not in discussing options.

Then there must be some sort of missunderstanding. My intention was not to
troll, but to demonstrate the implications of what you said. I would like
to apologise for my previous message as I had understood something
completely from what you really said, sorry.

But I anyway don't think it is the appropriate way to do it.
You are assuming that only bash and dash are suitable as /bin/sh, while IIRC
zsh, mksh, pdksh, posh, and probably some other shell interpeter out there
are all policy compliant and thus suitable for /bin/sh (ksh isn't since it
doesn't support local variables).
So, may I ask why would requiring scripts to work with bash and dash and not
the others is fair?
I'd prefer to stick with the standards.

Cheers,
Raphael Geissert