Re: Why do we have to support tmpfs for /var/run (policy changes in 3.8.1)

Giacomo A. Catenazzi dijo [Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:05:35AM +0200]:
> In Debian policy:
> : The init.d scripts must ensure that they will behave sensibly
> : (i.e., returning success and not starting multiple copies of a
> : service) if invoked with start when the service is already running,
> : or with stop when it isn't, and that they don't kill
> : unfortunately-named user processes.
>
> this case is not cited in the examples, but I really think
> that *behave sensibly* cover also thiscase , i.e. after a crash a
> daemon should start, also if .pid exists.

Strong +1. This is, however, unrelated to whatever happened at boot -
If the daemon crashed during regular system usage and it is started
again, it should start regardless if there are any pidfiles lying around.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23