Re: Why do we have to support tmpfs for /var/run (policy changes in 3.8.1)

Gunnar Wolf wrote:
It does achieve not having bogus information on. If your system
crashed, some crappy daemons will refuse to start if
/var/run/crappyserver.pid exists, or will try to communicate with
their peers using /var/run/sloppydaemon.socket, possibly failing
cleanly, but possibly leading to head-scratching

In Debian policy:
: The init.d scripts must ensure that they will behave sensibly
: (i.e., returning success and not starting multiple copies of a
: service) if invoked with start when the service is already running,
: or with stop when it isn't, and that they don't kill
: unfortunately-named user processes.

this case is not cited in the examples, but I really think
that *behave sensibly* cover also thiscase , i.e. after a crash a
daemon should start, also if .pid exists.

ciao
	cate