Re: How to depend on 32bit libs on amd64? (and what to do with ia32-libs)

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 11:50:45PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> (01/04/2009):
> >>   Although I admit that schroot is a neat tool to deal with that, it is
> >> overkill in the case of wine, and much too complex for users that would
> >> be interested to use wine: one of the public that can be attracted to
> >> the GNU/Linux side of the game is gamers - especially now that there are
> >> so many *recent* games that work with it. Telling them: «well, you'll
> >> have to build a ia32 chroot to play...» is likely to drive them off for
> >> good.
> >
> > I can't really see why wine couldn't embed a script to do the needed
> > work. Users would need to call a single command to prepare the
> > environment. It could, I guess, even be done in the postinst.
>
> So wine on amd64 should be a dummy package that then creates a 32bit
> chroot all on its own?
>
> Now what about rar? Another chroot?

And the 32-bit application can't launch 64-bit applications as it could
if it were just running with 32-bit libraries outside of a chroot. The
chroot is too isolating.

I used to run 32-bit Firefox in a chroot before 64-bit flash and
nspluginwrapper etc and of course it couldn't launch external
applications associated with various file types etc. PITA.

Hamish