Re: How to depend on 32bit libs on amd64? (and what to do with ia32-libs)

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> writes:

> Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> (01/04/2009):
>>   Although I admit that schroot is a neat tool to deal with that, it is
>> overkill in the case of wine, and much too complex for users that would
>> be interested to use wine: one of the public that can be attracted to
>> the GNU/Linux side of the game is gamers - especially now that there are
>> so many *recent* games that work with it. Telling them: «well, you'll
>> have to build a ia32 chroot to play...» is likely to drive them off for
>> good.
>
> I can't really see why wine couldn't embed a script to do the needed
> work. Users would need to call a single command to prepare the
> environment. It could, I guess, even be done in the postinst.
>
> Mraw,
> KiBi.

So wine on amd64 should be a dummy package that then creates a 32bit
chroot all on its own?

Now what about rar? Another chroot?

And what about all the 3rd party debs? They certianly won't provide a
"build me a chroot" debs.

Or what about changes in /etc/resolve.conf? Suddenly you need to run a
dns proxy so the chroot has internet access even if your dsl modem
redials and gets a new nameserver.

A 32 bit chroot is something a user can create but not something you
can package up reasonably clean.

MfG
        Goswin