Re: Improvements to ‘debian/watch’ for fetching from VCS

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 10:04:21AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

> For my purposes, I would like to be able to specify “fetch from the
> VCS at $URL, getting the specific working tree referenced by
> identifier $ID” and then the rest of what uscan does for generating
> an original source archive from the working tree.

> That's made more complex, of course, by:

> * the fact that the URL doesn't necessarily indicate what VCS tool is
>   needed to interact with it (just about all of them allow an HTTP URL
>   for public read-only access, so that's what will commonly be used
>   here)

Well, we can overload the URL for that e.g. use

 git:http://
 svn:http://

instead of just "http://"; in the URL. Just like the "view-source:" in
Gecko browsers. Or it can be a separate field in the watch file, e.g.

version=4
URL ftp://ftp.avm.de/tools/capi4hylafax.linux/capi4hylafax-(.*)\.tar\.gz    debian  uupdate

and

version=4
SVN http://svn.avm.de/capihylyafax/tags/release-(.*) debian  uupdate

--