Re: Request for Comments: Standardize enabling/disabling of system services

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 01:12:25PM +0200, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 06:05:48PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > I think that renaming and/or removing the init script symlinks is the
> > > Right Thing To Do, but the tools we have for doing this are awful.  I
> > > think it would be a great solution if update-rc.d gained the following
> > > features:

> > I think this should be a separate program, reserving update-rc.d for
> > maintainer script use.  But please, not 'chkconfig', which is an entirely
> > unintuitive name. :)

> ACK. What speaks against 'service'? :)

If we use the name 'service', please also make it handle service
starting/stopping, which is what the program of the same name is
traditionally used for on Red Hat systems (and now on Ubuntu).

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 06:26:26PM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:

> >> ACK. What speaks against 'service'? :)

> > Too generic? Maybe something like 'debserv' would be better, because
> > it's Debian specific.

> Maybe I am wrong, but since (most of) the Debian-specific tools to deal
> with rc.d scripts end in -rc.d, why not 'service-rc.d'?

As already mentioned, I very much don't want these tools to be bound to
sysv-rc, which I question the viability of in the long term.