Re: This topic died off; any resolution?

On Mon, Mar 30 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>
>>         My slight preference is a script with a well known name, since
>>  that script can then be extracted and used by DEHS/PTS like systems,
>>  without requireing that the whole source be unpoacked and
>>  ./debian/rules be runnable (I have sanity checks in my debian/rules)
>
> A (minor) problem with an external script is that dpkg-source won't make
> it executable, so you have to make it executable before running it (or
> assume what language it's written in, which seems like a bad move).

        Well, programs that extract these files can do so. But the thing
 is, we can now make get-orig-source actually work with these external
 script too:

GET_SRC_VERSION  := $(strip $(shell LC_ALL=C dpkg-parsechangelog | \
                       egrep '^Version:' | cut -f 2 -d ' '))
get-orig-source: get-latest-source

get-latest-source:
        test ! -f debian/getsrc || test ! -x debian/getsrc || \
                           chmod +x debian/getsrc
        test ! -f debian/getsrc || ./debian/getsrc

get-debian-source:
        test ! -f debian/getsrc || test ! -x debian/getsrc || \
                           chmod +x debian/getsrc
        test ! -f debian/getsrc || \
                 ./debian/getsrc --upstream-version $GET_SRC_VERSION

        ./debian/getsrc can then be "exec uscan $@", or something else.
 We can have snippets setting GET_SRC_VERSION to what debian/changelog
 has, or something else.

        This is the best of both worlds, no? we have a common make
 target, and we have a simply named script, that can be extracted.

        manoj
--
Democracy is a device that insures we shall be governed no better than
we deserve.  -- George Bernard Shaw