Re: realtime kernel for Debian

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
>> I do use a real-time kernel on a Debian based system for one of my
>> customers (but I have to recompile the kernel anyway because I do other
>> customizations) and I have good reasons to do so because I can't suffer
>> serial overrun and I must ensure that the serial interrupt handler
>> is run in the required time and that no other (kernel) task has higher
>> priority.
>
> These *other customizations* are important to rt-kernel.

No they are not. It's a supplementary driver only.

By -rt kernel, I refer to the patch set maintained by Thomas Gleixner and
Ingo Molnar:
http://rt.wiki.kernel.org
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/

The patch set is progressively integrated in Linus's tree but there's
still some work left and it will likely continue to exist for a long time.
FWIW LWN has articles about its (progressive) integration.

Of course, if we add a -rt flavor, we should have someone willing to
maintain it within the kernel team.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/