Re: net-tools future

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:53:19AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Mar 20, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > It is still possible to install and run Lenny without the use of udev,
> > and many people do so.
> popcon shows that the number is trivial. Definitely not "many".

popcon tells me that there are 82953 people who have udev installed, and
that this is 98.41% of the total amount of people who do popcon
submission.

82953*100/98.41 = 84293

This means that of those who have popcon running, there are 1340 people
who do not use udev.

While 1.6% is indeed a rather small amount, I wouldn't call 1340 people
'trivial'.

Moreover, while popcon is useful to order packages so that we can decide
which package goes on which CD, I would be _very_ wary of using it to
justify throwing software out of the archive. To be representative,
statistical data has to be drawn from a *random* subgroup of people.
This does not happen with popcon; as such, it is not entirely reliable.

> > Whether you agree that this is useful or a 'toy'
> > setup is beside the point; fact is that it happens, and if people want
> > to work on this so that it remains being supported, why not?
> Because it makes other packages more complex.

That would be a good argument if you were to explain how, exactly, it
would make other packages more complex.

Can you give an example, please?

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22