Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 01:28:09AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20 2009, Mike O'Connor wrote:
>

> >> Why is this list needed?
> >
> > Often the license requires it.  For instance the BSD license says,
> > "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright".
> >
>         I think it means what is says. The *ABOVE* copyright notice must
>  be reproduced. That does not mean you have to hunt down every person
>  with a Signed-Off-By header in the log, or every person who made an
>  more than 10 line (non-trivial) patch submission to the project (and
>  yes, most of these people also hold copyright -- how are you gonna find
>  out all such names?)

Yes, Manoj, thanks for the clarification.  I didn't intend to imply that
I believed that this statement in the license is a requirement to hunt
down all contributors.  I agree that it rather clearly indicates "ABOVE"
copyright statements.  I meant to point out to Joss, who was seeming to
imply that copyright notices shouldn't be required at all in
debian/copyright, that there are clear cases when they are required.

stew