Re: group nvram

This one time, at band camp, Steve Langasek said:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:37:59AM +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>
> > > But if the collective opinion of the project is that the issue does not
> > > exist then I will happily close bugs like #516149 and tell users to live
> > > with it. Please advise.
>
> > They should add this group to their ldap database. At least it should
> > be documented that debian system need this group. BTW redhat has also
> > rdma, fuse, kvm group.
>
> No, they should not.  The system groups referenced by udev should instead
> always be present in /etc/group.

Or, possibly better, the udev rules for groups dynamically added by
other packages should be moved to those other packages.  In general, I
like that better than dropping groups from the system on the basis of
either a random change in some other distribution or not knowing whether
or not they're still useful.

> However, I wonder if Marco isn't arguing on the basis of old information;
> lookups for LDAP at boot time should not result in long timeouts, and it's a
> bug in nss_ldap/libldap if they do - a bug which I thought had been
> addressed by now.

It's fine if ldap comes second in nsswitch, although it's still a bit
painful if ldap is first in the group lookup (I don't know whether this
is actually still necessary, but some old configurations use it to
override system groups).

Cheers,