Re: group nvram

Steve Langasek wrote:
> It's certainly far *more* insecure to add users to the kmem group than to
> the nvram group.

Definitely.

> But I'm not aware of any reason that users need to access /dev/nvram,
> generally.  The only tool I know of that uses this interface is
> hotkey-setup, which runs a daemon as root to handle polling the nvram state,
> so the group permissions don't matter.

What way use other programs like pidging-blinklight these days?
I remember that /dev/nvram was needed to get a blinking keyboard light years
ago... not sure what the current way is.

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 GPG Fingerprint: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79