Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 06:23:55PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 09:53:46AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > So according to your rule that policy should standardize "common practice"
> > and not mandate something completely new, the env variable proposal is in
> > more widespread usage.
> For ten years, the "common practice" was that dpkg-buildpackage did not set
> any variable.
> We cannot standardize on the "env variable proposal" because such proposal
> has never be made. Instead dpkg-buildpackage was broken in Lenny, and should
> be fixed ASAP. Now we have packages that do not build correctly with
> dpkg-buildpackage, others that do not build correctly with debian/rules
> binary, and all handle env var differently.

dpkg-buildpackage setting environment variables is broken.  Using make
to set site/distro/user-specific options makes more sense.  Not only is
it more flexible and extensible, it will also work no matter how one
builds the package since make will handle it.

  .''`.  Roger Leigh