Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Mon, Mar 16 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         And you are missing the point that making people type stuff on
>>  the command line for site specific stuff looses out to being able to
>>  edit a conffile instead.
>
> Who said the command line was for site-specific stuff?
>
> In my proposition the hierarchy could be something like this:
> - distribution default (encoded in dpkg-buildpackage or in a
>   /etc/dpkg/origins/ file)

        The latter is better, since it does not force people to iuse
 dpkg, and does not force blended distributions and derivatives to
 modify dpkg every time they want a change.

> - site-specific (/etc/dpkg/dpkg-buildpackage.conf)
> - package specific (inside debian/rules)
> - user specific (command line options)
>
> In my opinion, the origin of the variable is not important, the only
> important part is to specifiy in policy how the value is communicated to
> the rules file.

        I ahd not read this changed proposal until now. This is close
 enough to what I was saying to be workable -- as long as the project
 defaults are in a file, and not hard coded into a script.

        The only other caveat I would put in is implementation details,
 with my Make hat on: Use the := and = variants in make to set variables
 that help differentiate the policies that the variables define;

 default_foo    :=   PROJECT_VALUE   # set in /etc/dpkg/origins

 -include /etc/dpkg/default.mk       # set in /etc/buildpackage.mk
 site_foo       :=   SITE_VALUE      # set in /etc/buildpackage.mk

ifneq (,$strip($(site_foo)))        # also set in  /etc/buildpackage.mk
    foo         = $(site_foo)
else
  ifneq (,$strip($(default_foo)))
   foo          = $(default_foo)
  endif
endif

# in debian/rules
-include  /etc/buildpackage.mk
# Set foo here, if necessary

        With such a template, we can override either the default, or
 site, policy, either in the debian/rules, or on the command line.

        I think we are close.

        manoj
--
Death is nature's way of saying `Howdy'.