Re: DEB_VENDOR and forks

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Of course an Ubuntu derivative could be surprised if they get
> a Debian-variant of a package instead of an Ubuntu-variant…

 Yes, that's exactly the issue I'm raising

> I see how we can solve it (add new fields in /etc/dpkg/origins/* to
> describe parent relationship, and create a new tool to query those
> meta-information) but I wonder what impact you expect it would have
> on the decision of exporting DEB_VENDOR in the build environment.

 Well I just want this issue to be considered near the initial
 introduction of DEB_VENDOR.

> Would you like a DEB_VENDORS="Gobuntu Ubuntu Debian" or similar
> so that no external tool is required ?
> ifneq (,$(filter Ubuntu,$(DEB_VENDORS)))
>     # Ubuntu or derivative
> endif

 That would be a possible implementation which I wouldn't mind using;
 albeit the name of the field isn't too obvious but I don't have any
 good idea.  I think I'd be fine with either an external tool or
 environment vars, but in any case the handling of specific vendor and
 inherited vendors should be similar IMO.

Loïc Minier