Re: Proposal: virtual package + alternative: x-keyboard

Primary reason why I raised it appeared when I tried hackable1
Debian-based distribution for freerunner. X server was hardcoded to use
/usr/bin/xkbd for a keyboard which comes up whenever user presses AUX
button. There were no easy way to alternate the input method. So for qwo
package I just suggested to symlink xkbd -> qwo.  Having alternates for
it would have resolved the problem.

since in this case custom x-server is relying on its presence, depends
on x-keyboard should be for that custom package of X. and since it is X
which takes care about raising the keyboard, it should be ok even for
login screens (although on the phones usually it is a single-user
environment, so no need for login/session management per se)

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark