Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Bill Unruh <unruh@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> > In future please do some tests before making wild claims (or even just
> > consider how a compiler works).
>
> Oh dear, Yes, I did think of that and assumed that the readers were
> intelligent enough not to need obvious caveates.

After this discussion I don't think that you are in a position to criticise
the intelligence of anyone.

> My programs have no string literals.  Yes, string
> litereals are sometimes preserved.

String literals are almost always preserved.

> And the point is? YOu think that those
> string literals will convert a non-copyrighted binary to a copyrighted one
> (Read "Fair use")?  "If the program has theree letters in common with the
> source then the program is derivative and if two it is not?"

Copyright applies to strings.  In fact when copyright was first invented one
of the main aims was to protect collections of strings (books).

PS  What contributions are you making to any free software projects?  Please
note that trolling this mailing list doesn't count as a contribution.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog