Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Bill Unruh <unruh@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> Sorry, but that means that the concept does exist. The binary of a program
> is a totally different animal from the original. Not a shred of similarity
> in expression exists between the two. If I grep phrases from the original
> in the binary, I will not find them.

In future please do some tests before making wild claims (or even just
consider how a compiler works).

In all the common compilers every text string (IE something that is enclosed
in "" in the source) will appear exactly the same in the binary.  Variations
on the compressed executable theme (which was common in MS-DOS days) will of
course be exceptions to this rule.

$ gcc test.c
$ strings a.out
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
__gmon_start__
libc.so.6
_IO_stdin_used
puts
__libc_start_main
GLIBC_2.0
PTRh
[^_]
hello world
$ ./a.out
hello world
$ cat test.c
#include <stdio.h>
int main() { printf("hello world\n"); return 0; }
$

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog