Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:

> Hey folks,
>
> I'm looking at my local mirror (slowly) update at the moment, and I've
> got to wondering: are the large -dbg packages actually really useful
> to anybody? I can't imagine that more than a handful of users ever
> install (to pick an example) the amarok-dbg packages, but we have
> multiple copies of a 70MB-plus .deb taking up mirror space and
> bandwidth. I can understand this for library packages, maybe, but for
> applications?
>
> Thoughts?

I think the debug packages are quite usefull. Just not every day or
everyone.

For a local mirror I would totaly filter out all the -dbg packages. If
the need arises you can always fetch them from debian or alter the
filter to allow some in.

The problem is that when you need the -dbg package then it has to be
available. They can not be build after for example you (as maintainer)
recieved a core dump. So for Debian they need to be around.

MfG
        Goswin