Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?

Hi,

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

> What I really wish for is the ability to have a relatively centralized
> location where the symbols from every single package ended up that was
> separate from the normal mirrors.
>
> The above, coupled with a coredump submission site which would accept
> coredumps and automatically generate backtraces for them (or a script
> that downloaded the -dbg packages, unpacked them and backtraced the
> coredump) would be a great help in debugging some of the relatively
> rare segfaults. [We could probably even hook up a coredump handler to
> such a script.]
>
> There was some talk that Ubuntu was going to implement such a thing at
> the Prague UDS, but I've no clue if it ever came to fruition.

Ubuntu has both of the above: automatic generation of debug symbol
packages at build time [1] and a backtracing service integrated in the
bug tracker [2].

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-September/000195.html
    Packages with debug symbols can be downloaded from
    http://ddebs.ubuntu.com
[2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2007-March/023440.html

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19  739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797  B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19