Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Mar 2009, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> I've got to wondering: are the large -dbg packages actually really
>> useful to anybody?
>>
>> Thoughts?

See  #508585 and http://debug.debian.net/

It will be really nice to have this stuff generalized for squeeze.

See http://debug.debian.net/

> The above, coupled with a coredump submission site which would accept
> coredumps and automatically generate backtraces for them (or a script
> that downloaded the -dbg packages, unpacked them and backtraced the
> coredump) would be a great help in debugging some of the relatively
> rare segfaults. [We could probably even hook up a coredump handler to
> such a script.]

Like unbuntu system. it is really really helpful.

> There was some talk that Ubuntu was going to implement such a thing at
> the Prague UDS, but I've no clue if it ever came to fruition.

It is implemented in ubuntu, and lauchpad receive automatic report.

> Don Armstron
>
> --

Bastien