Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling) writes:

> As said, license compatibility needs to be discussed separately. If you like
> to allow to publish binaries from GPLd programs for _any_ OS that does not
> come with a GPLd "libc", you need to allow (*) to link _any_ GPLd program
> against _any_ library that is not part of "the work" of the GPLd program. The
> rules of the GPL end at "work" limit and neither libc nor libschily or libscg
> are part of the "work" mkisofs. For this reason, there is no problem with the
> fact that mkisofs links against libschily and libscg.

No we don't. We can just keep releasing Debian GNU/Linux which has a
GPLed "libc". It is not our problem nor our concern if Schilli OS
does not. Debian is legally only concerned with "Debian OS" and not
"_any_ OS".

> *) Any definition of "the work" that would include libraries that have been
>    developed independently from the GPLd work would be in violation with the
>    Copyright law anyway.
>
> As a hint: "the work mkisofs" is the plain files that can be found in the
> sub-directory "mkisofs" in the cdrtools source tree. Other sub-directories in
> this source tree colletion contain _other_ independent works.
>

> You have to decide whether the GPL is a completely unusable license or whether
> there is no problem with mkisofs.....

The GPL is a completely unusable license, as defined by your terms. It
is painfully strickt and viral to a fault. That's why we so love it.

> Jörg

MfG
        Goswin