Re: Transition: krb5 to drop Kerberos IV (libkrb53 restructuring)

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> You can certainly obtain a similar result nowadays by putting the
> dependency that you want in debian/control directly and by using
> the -x option of dpkg-shlibdeps to strip the dependency that you did not
> want.

 I had a case recently where this wasn't too convenient with the ffmpeg
 package: it depends on a bunch of libs split in their own packages in
 the same source.  The goal was to have a =binary:Version dep for ffmpeg
 on these libs, and use a relaxed version for the shlibs for other
 programs (ffmpeg calls into private ABI).

 In this particular case, it was simpler to use a shlibs.local with
 stricter deps during this build, while shipping relaxed shlibs.

 You could argue we should have used a stricter version on the
 semi-private symbols in a .symbols file, but it's more maintenance to
 distinguish between the two types of symbols and it's not guaranteed to
 be true in all cases (you might need =binary:version deps even if
 you're not using more symbols than the public ones).

--
Loïc Minier