Re: Desktop standards, MIME info cache, and Lintian

Michael Biebl wrote:
[...]
> It's also a matter for what case we optimize:
>
> For users running unstable, who constantly update, it might/will happen
> that the update-desktop-database trigger is activated although
> unnecessary.
>
> For stable users, who only do distro upgrades, it might be quite some
> benefit,
> as instead of dozens of  update-desktop-database calls during the upgrade,
> you'd only get one.

Why not implement a system that maintainer scripts could use to tell dpkg
that a given script or 'not automagic trigger' is needed, that would only
be enabled when a package really needs it; but the operation would be done
just once.

Cheers,
Raphael Geissert