Re: Should 32-bit apps work with a 64-bit kernel?

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:48:35AM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:

> Agreed.  If we can identify all libraries (perhaps with a simple grep over
> the lintian lab?) containing these types, and make sure LFS is enabled in
> all of them, it should then be possible to switch once all dependencies
> are rebuilt.  I guess this would need the library packages renaming due to
> altering the ABI.

Some of these libraries provide ABIs which support both LFS and non-LFS
versions - we'd also need to check for those and make sure they can
handle being built with LFS defined by default.

I do worry that we may end up causing compatibility issues here by
surprsing people with changed defaults.