Re: Should 32-bit apps work with a 64-bit kernel?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 06:20:50PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:52:30PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
>
> > Personally, I would prefer the glibc headers to just set the LFS
> > macros to the 64 bit versions by default, so that rather than
> > taking extra steps to enable LFS, LFS would be the default and you
> > would then need to take extra steps to disable it.
>
> > i.e. just default _FILE_OFFSET_BITS to 64 rather than 32.
>
> > If someone really, really, wanted 32 bit file offsets, they could
> > just set it back to 32 again.
>
> There are libraries in existence that (unfortunately) expose libc types that
> are sensitive to _FILE_OFFSET_BITS as part of their ABIs.  Making a change
> like this without first identifying and handling those libraries would cause
> a mess.

Agreed.  If we can identify all libraries (perhaps with a simple grep over
the lintian lab?) containing these types, and make sure LFS is enabled in
all of them, it should then be possible to switch once all dependencies
are rebuilt.  I guess this would need the library packages renaming due to
altering the ABI.

Regards,
Roger

--