Re: Should 32-bit apps work with a 64-bit kernel?

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 10:46 +0000, Jörg Sommer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the bug report #489917 that complains that Jed can't handle
> 64‐bit kernel structures. In this special case, the stat() return with
> EOVERFLOW Value too large to be stored in data type. Jed was compiled for
> a 32‐bit kernel and is run with a 64‐bit kernel.

You can get this error under 32-bit kernels too, because thankfully they
can handle >2 GB files.

> The error can be fixed
> by compiling Jed with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64. Should I set this option
> for all 32‐bit builds or does it have any drawbacks?

If jed can deal with files that large, sure.  But if it expects to be
able to load the entire file into memory - as most text editors do -
stat() will be only the first of its problems.

Ben.