Re: Release Candidate 2 of Debian Installer

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 23:43 +0100, Harald Braumann wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:35:48 +0900
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > How about letting the person doing the installation write the labels
> > if they want to use LABEL and use UUID by default.
> >
> Or as a third option, put everything in LVM, including boot and root,
> and the problem goes away. GRUB2 would have to be used, though.

I am not sure GRUB2 is ready for a production release of Debian. It will
be by squeeze, but not yet for lenny IMHO.

Right now for booting off LVM, we use lilo. This is lilo's main use-case
in Debian currently[1], excluding hardware configurations where GRUB1
fails to work correctly.

A configuration resulting in us using lilo as the default bootloader is
probably not a good idea for many reasons, of which I have gone through
before, and do not intend to outline here (mostly related to the age of
the lilo codebase, and the fact that lilo needs to be refactored if it
is to remain relevant for much longer).

William

[1] debian-installer explicitly installs lilo instead of grub when a LVM
is used as the boot partition.