Re: Release Candidate 2 of Debian Installer

Mike Hommey dijo [Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:46:11AM +0100]:
> > > A good option would be to use LABEL or UID instead. However I am not sure if that has some drawbacks as well:
> > >
> > > - for uuid the system is less forgiving if you swap disks
> > > - for label the system is less forgiving if you bring in temp. new disks
> > >
> > > So I think UUID has less risks.
> >
> > Anaconda uses LABEL. I don't know the full rationale on why this is, but
> > it may be a good idea to follow suit.
>
> And thanks to that, it's a PITA to have several RH/Fedora installs on the
> same computer.

Still, it is a saner overall system. Of course, if during install d-i
finds there is already a partition labeled 'root', it could either ask
the user for an alternative name or set it to
d-i-${timestamp}-root. Or label all the partitions with a timestamp,
preemptively avoiding this kind of conflicts.

FWIW, setting them by label is the most flexible and robust way, not
tied to hardware keys or specific hookups.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23