Re: Arch:all package depending on package that isn't Arch:any

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:49:33 +0100
Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:

(Please drop me from CC: where possible, -devel is fine for me.
Keeping Julian in CC - not sure if he's subscribed to -devel but I'm
confident you are, Adeodato.)

> * Julian Andres Klode [Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:07:55 +0100]:
>
> > 4. An external location
> >  This is backward compatible too. The problem with this proposal is
> >  that it puts to a small group of people (if it would be implemented
> >  like some stuff we have already). Programs creating repositories
> >  would need to be changed to accept such a file.
>
> Programs creating repositories will need to be changed *no matter what
> approach you take*, since the idea is precisely to modify their
> behavior. They may have to be modified to grok "Architecture: all [i386
> amd64]", or Install-Architecture, or a file.

True.

> (This is also why, btw, I don't get Neil's wish for a "generic
> solution". Every solution is going to need modifications everywhere one
> wants it implemented.)

Maybe - but if Debian decides on a standard method for how the solution
must work, (and/or the results it must achieve), then each tool is free
to implement the solution internally as suits the codebase. All I want
is that standard - something that says that all tools need to behave in
a particular manner or have support for acting in that manner. In that
sense, the solution (the standard) is generic but each implementation
varies without breaking compatibility.

> But I already said in my other mail that a P-a-s like approach may not
> be the best option, given the size of the problem. (Neil, I'm surprised
> you haven't meet "P-a-s": http://buildd.debian.org/quinn-diff/Packages-arch-specific.)

I wasn't aware of that. Interesting. Is it documented somewhere in the
Developer Reference etc. or linked from the Developer's Corner on
www.debian.org ?

> An arch:all package should be installable anywhere where its
> dependencies can be satisfied. And if they can't be satisfied, dpkg/apt
> will refuse to install it already.

That is the problem I would like to solve - I don't want any packages
in the Packages.gz file that cannot be installed. As noted by Adeodato,
this involves tools like edos-debcheck.

--

Neil Williams