Re: Override changes standard -> optional

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:
> [Michael Goetze]

>>> ... nscd ...

>> I think that's a bad idea. It can cause some confusion when people make
>> config changes that don't take effect immediately, and is hard to debug.

> It reduces the load on the LDAP server when using LDAP for PAM/NSS,
> and has proven to be required to avoid overloading the server and
> prompt response on the clients.  The new nss-ldapd package help, but
> caching LDAP results is needed too.

The vast majority of Debian installations don't use LDAP NSS maps, though.
I know that Debian-Edu does heavily, which makes it quite reasonable for
you to want to install it, but I'm not sure it makes sense for Debian as
a whole.

(Does nscd honor DNS TTLs properly yet?  Last time I looked at it, its DNS
caching was horribly broken, but it's been quite a while.)