Re: Test Debian : Release Goals, Point release, Foo-n-Half...

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 17:19 +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Hi Franklin,
>
> thanks for working on a page describing the various releases.
>
> I would like to object to your labeling according to "risk".

Actually, when I started the page, the 4 levels were simply tagged "Low
risk" to "High risk". As I wrote the page, the first line of each
chapter was defining the distribution to use, so I moved it to the
title. I now realize it's a bad idea to have "risk" and the distribution
name side-by-side. So I've just reverted it.

It was also a bad idea to have the distribution in those titles since
the purpose of the page is not to explain Debian releases, but to get
people to test stuffs (the distribution to use is just one of them)

> I don't think running unstable or testing is a high risk per se. As long as one doesn't
> upgrade onself into a terrible situation and knows how to downgrade a package,
> it is not much of a problem to run Debian unstable on one's work machine.

I chose the term "risk" to stress the risk of having an "unavailable"
system (can't boot, can't connect network...) may be someone is going to
come-up with better names.

> Linking to http://wiki.debian.org/TopicDebianDevel for users of unstable to
> check before updating might be good idea.

Good idea. I've added it to https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUnstable page.

Franklin