Re: Vcs-* fields policy

also sprach Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> [2008.09.15.2010 +0100]:
> I understand it prone to false positives, but we can on the other
> hand add flags to suppress the default behaviour and TopGit is not
> a real VCS per se ...

It's a patch management system built on top of Git, which integrates
perfectly with Git. It rocks already, despite the many rough edges
it still has.

The only reasonable heuristic to identify a TopGit repository is to
use to use git-ls-remote and look if the remote has top-bases:

  git ls-remote git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/topgit.git refs/top-bases/\*

this means two network connections, but there is no other way;
topgit is not a build dependency for packages using it.

> While we are at it, one of the other improvement I was thinking
> was to track per default all remote git branches after "git
> clone". Comments?

Sounds like something that should be configuratble in Git (but is
not), so if you simulate it with debcheckout, please make it
configurable too!

i feel like i'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.