/proc and build environments

This is probably a FAQ, and I guess I knew the answer at one point.
What are the requirements for /proc and buildds?  Can packages assume
that /proc/self/stat exist in a buildd environment?

The following is from mundy.debian.org, from a testing-security build:

| Setting up gij-4.3 (4.3.1-9) ...
| GC Warning: Couldn't read /proc/stat
| Couldn't read /proc/self/stat
| /var/lib/dpkg/info/gij-4.3.postinst: line 29: 10104 Aborted                 gcj-dbtool-4.3 -n /var/lib/gcj-4.3/classmap.db
| dpkg: error processing gij-4.3 (--configure):
|  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2

I don't know yet if the crash is related to the lack of /proc.  (The
package builds fine on caballero.debian.org, the sid buildd.)