Re: /proc and build environments

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:43:40AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> This is probably a FAQ, and I guess I knew the answer at one point.
> What are the requirements for /proc and buildds?  Can packages assume
> that /proc/self/stat exist in a buildd environment?
>
> The following is from mundy.debian.org, from a testing-security build:
>
> | Setting up gij-4.3 (4.3.1-9) ...
> | GC Warning: Couldn't read /proc/stat
> | Couldn't read /proc/self/stat
> | /var/lib/dpkg/info/gij-4.3.postinst: line 29: 10104 Aborted                 gcj-dbtool-4.3 -n /var/lib/gcj-4.3/classmap.db
> | dpkg: error processing gij-4.3 (--configure):
> |  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>
> I don't know yet if the crash is related to the lack of /proc.  (The
> package builds fine on caballero.debian.org, the sid buildd.)

Can't do much about it when this is during Build-Depends installation I
guess, except keeping the Build-Depends sane.  In this case, maybe the
gij packages could fail more graciously if /proc is not available.

Are you sure gij-4.3 is not just dragged in via Recommends, i.e. the
buildd chroot is properly setup?  AFAICT, you did not mention which
package failed above (if you can disclose it), so it's hard to
investigate further I guess.

Michael