Re: Proposal: user-visible list of divergences from upstream

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 14:57 +0300, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
>>> BTS and online changelogs linked from the PTS ?
>> For upstream, for Debian people - enough. My proposal is to make
>> user-oriented list. Long changelog entries with some inner packaging
>> info and other stuff and viewing dozen of patches (even with good
>> comments) imho, is not what user have to do to answer on the simple
>> questions "Have Debian version of package foo, version x.y.z the fix for
>> A?" and "Have Debian version of package foo, version x.y.z the feature B?".
>
> Without some form of coordination between all the different bug
> trackers, this will never be possible. Security bugs have a
> long-standing mechanism for identifying specific issues and therefore
> specific fixes across distributions. Other bugs do not - different users
> report the same issue in different ways. *IF* the bug is forwarded
> upstream, then the upstream bug tracker reference is probably sufficient
> but that works best for upstream (who know which patterns to try and
> find), not users.
>
> In essence, your request comes down to:
>
> How does a user decide if the fix for issue A in Distro X is equivalent
> to the fix for issue B in Distro Y? I see no particular solution to that
> other than knowing how each distro records upstream bug references. Even
> then, you need upstream to be on-the-ball in marking bugs as duplicates
> or merged.
>
> The question is far from simple.
>
> It works for security bugs because a lot of people ensure that it works
> - doing it for other issues will require as much, if not more, work.

Thanks a lot for your answer. I've understood that at least some
coordination is needed, and this coordination will cost additional human
resources. Though, I would be glad to see the proposed feature in some
future.

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF