Re: Proposal: user-visible list of divergences from upstream

"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf.devel@gmail.com> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > "Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf.devel@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Many of Debian packages have a patches that fixes some important
> >> bugs which have not accepted by upstream for some reasons, some
> >> of them also contains improvements, Debian-specific or not.
> > [+ICY-]
> >
> >> But how can users know about this changes in Debian packages?
> >
> > By the existing README.Debian and NEWS.Debian conventions (for
> > persistent and version-sensitive changes, respectively).
> >
> Have non-Debian users access to this files?

Sure. One doesn't need to use Debian to get a Debian source package +IBQ-
or even a Debian binary package. Both types contain these files.

> Have Debian users access to these files when packages are not
> installed on system?

Only by getting the package and unpacking it (as I'm sure you know,
the package can be unpacked and inspected without installing it).

Are you proposing that, in addition to the changelog and the
README.Debian and the NEWS.Debian and the package control files, that
there should be *yet another* place where the package maintainer is
expected to duplicate information on what they've done to the package?

--
 +AFw-       +IBw-Following fashion and the status quo is easy. Thinking about |
  `+AFw-        your users' lives and creating something practical is much |