Re: Proposal: user-visible list of divergences from upstream

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 14:57 +0300, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> > BTS and online changelogs linked from the PTS ?
> For upstream, for Debian people - enough. My proposal is to make
> user-oriented list. Long changelog entries with some inner packaging
> info and other stuff and viewing dozen of patches (even with good
> comments) imho, is not what user have to do to answer on the simple
> questions "Have Debian version of package foo, version x.y.z the fix for
> A?" and "Have Debian version of package foo, version x.y.z the feature B?".

Without some form of coordination between all the different bug
trackers, this will never be possible. Security bugs have a
long-standing mechanism for identifying specific issues and therefore
specific fixes across distributions. Other bugs do not - different users
report the same issue in different ways. *IF* the bug is forwarded
upstream, then the upstream bug tracker reference is probably sufficient
but that works best for upstream (who know which patterns to try and
find), not users.

In essence, your request comes down to:

How does a user decide if the fix for issue A in Distro X is equivalent
to the fix for issue B in Distro Y? I see no particular solution to that
other than knowing how each distro records upstream bug references. Even
then, you need upstream to be on-the-ball in marking bugs as duplicates
or merged.

The question is far from simple.

It works for security bugs because a lot of people ensure that it works
- doing it for other issues will require as much, if not more, work.

--

Neil Williams