Re: conglomeration packages (Re: Will nvidia-graphics-drivers ever transition to testing?)

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 06:28:36PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> I don't see your point.

I can have libfoo1 and libfoo2 installed and used at the same time so
both applications compiled for libfoo1 and libfoo2 can be used at the
same time.  I can recompile my applications for libfoo2 as I get around
to it.  When everything is recompiled libfoo1 can be removed.

For kernel modules, I have to recompile all the kernel modules in order
to move to a new kernel since I can't use a mixture of kernel modules
for two different kernel versions since I can only be running one kernel
at a time.

> We were talking about nvidia-graphics-drivers. Prebuilt nvidia LKM packages
> are already built by dedicated source packages.

No, the nvidia package generates nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx-dev,
nvidia-kernel-source and such.  It does NOT know anything about building
modules for specific kernel variants.  That is done manually by someone
so far (and hence seems to be a bit infrequent).  The
linux-modules-*-2.6 package makes it possible to simply have the
buildd's take care of that job.

--
Len Sorensen