Re: package for configuration - Some suggestions

You can make packages to do configuration, but there are tricky issues involved in making sure that the right thing happens when the packages you're configuring are upgraded.

At MIT, we wrote a system of CDBS modules that automates a lot of the work involved in making configuration packages. You can read about (and download) it from <http://debathena.mit.edu/config-packages>.

We use this system to configure hundreds of machines administered by different people running any Debian or Ubuntu release dating from sarge to the present to use various MIT services.

By the way, sarge security support ended a couple of months ago, so I'm not sure continuing to run sarge is a good idea.

	-Tim Abbott