Re: Associating suffixes, programs and icons with MIME.

Le vendredi 04 janvier 2008 à 01:32 +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :
> Dear Josselin, thanks for your answers.
>
> The program for which I want to add a file icon is PerlPrimer, and only
> provides a 32x32 XPM icon. If I submit the following patch to the bug
> 448094, would you, as upstream author, recommend to the debhelper
> maintainer to incorporate it ?

I already submitted such a patch earlier today.

> For PerlPrimer, I declared a specific mime type as text/x-perlprimer.
> Apparently you suggetst that if I place an icon named
> gnome-mime-text-x-perlprimer.xpm in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes/,
> it would work but break thinks. Can you give me details on the problems it
> creates ?

Yes, it would look utterly and absolutely ugly. XPM icons don’t have
full alpha blending, and it will get worse at sizes smaller or larger
than 32x32. Furthermore, supposing that the icon is assorted to the
default icon theme (and I doubt a 32x32 XPM icon can be), it would look
ugly with other icon themes.

As long as your MIME type is named text/x-something, the default icon
for text files will be used, and this should look *much* better with all
icon themes.

> Does anybody know if a desktop manager follows the FreeDesktop standard for
> icon names? If I put an icon named text-x-perlprimer.xpm somewhere in
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/NxN/mimetypes, will it be useless everywhere ?

If it is useful in some places, you’d better ensure that it can look
consistently with all of them.