Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 12:14:15PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> If a package only shuts down cleanly because the rest of the shutdown
> process is slow, it is already buggy. Especially on systems where the
> shutdown is much faster, either due to their being fewer shutdown
> scripts than usual or the cpu being a lot faster than usual, or due to
> its shutdown script being reordered to run later than usual.

That's what I want to say. Such bugs are really hard to trigger and if
something gets corrupted during say a reboot then most people will blame
the HW or the kernel before thinking about the shutdown script.

I'm wondering if init could be modified to warn if it really has to kill
something with SIGKILL but of course syslog is long dead by then so
unless you've serial console you'll likely miss that warning.

> > - apache2: there is a (rather long) sleep in "restart" but not in
> >   "stop". Waiting for process termination should be added.
>
> It's fairly common to add a sleep in restart to (try to) deal with
> issues such as reopening a socket.

But if the listening socket is still open then some apache module may
still be doing disk I/O/database access/etc. as well, which means "stop"
should wait till apache really quits.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences