Re: Associating suffixes, programs and icons with MIME.

Le dimanche 30 décembre 2007 à 00:50 +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :
> For the association between an icon and a file type, I did not manage. I
> found a document that tells how to give a name to the icons, and one
> that tells where third party applications should store them:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
>
> I found the program dh_icons that appeared in the debhelper suite at
> version 5.0.51. However, it seems quite GNOME-specific as it is not
> fully compliant with the FreeDesktop standard. http://bugs.debian.org/448094

The purpose of dh_icons is to update the caches, and it isn’t
GNOME-specific. The bug you are pointing at is not annoying for most
packages, as they use PNG or SVG, not XPM icons.

> Is there a "Debian way" to associate icons, file types and suffixes in
> FreeDesktop-compliant environments ?

I don’t think there is a generic way to do that. The GNOME way is to
provide an icon named mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-x-foobar, and it
will automatically be selected for the application/x-foobar MIME type.

> For instance, the
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor directory (the default one) supports many
> different resolutions. Should a package support all of them ?

The desktop will automatically select the most appropriate resolution
among the ones that are provided, but it is preferable to have at least
a scalable version and a 24x24 one.

> Should .icon files be written for all icons ?

The .icon files are for parameters really specific to a given icon, like
attach points for emblems or the area definition for embedded text. Most
icons don’t need them.

> If they are identical, is it better to use symlinks ?

Sure.

--
 .''`.