Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 06:29:09AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 09:50 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net> writes:
> >
> > > Surely no more than a hard power failure(*), which databases (even such
> > > lightweight ones as sqlite) are designed to handle.
> >
> > You can still lose data transactions that weren't complete, and you may
> > have to go through an extended consistency check when the system comes
> > back up.
>
> Meh, two answers to my point that equate 'data loss' with 'incomplete
> transactions are not committed'.

This is true, but it's still a change in the behaviour of the system
that may or may not be desirable. The purpose of the change Petter is
proposing (at least the purpose of the same change when it was done in
Ubuntu) is a trivial transformation of init scripts that does not
produce any meaningful change in behaviour.