Re: Override changes standard -> optional

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 01:34:35PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> In case you see a good reason why the above is wrong, feel free to reply
> stating it. We currently can't see any of the packages living up to the
> policy definition of standard.

I would welcome the following packages to remain Standard:

> strace

Rationale: every day sysadm local debugging tool, at least IME.

> mtr-tiny

Rationale: every day sysadm network debugging tool *and* also user
"debugging" tool to understand what is not working in the connection
to their own remote server/website.

As a user, I'd be very annoyed to login on a machine which is missing
both traceroute and mtr.

> finger

Less important than the above two, this one is still one of the tool
which is still taught in basic *NIX classes as the way to inspect
files such as ".plan". Also, there are still some "interesting"
finger-based services out there.

Yes, all of them are disappearing, but I suggest we keep finger for
Lenny and then demote it to non-standard for Lenny+1.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -o- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris
7 zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} -<>-