Re: Override changes standard -> optional

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:33:41 +0100
Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:

> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> (30/12/2008):
> > > strace
> > > mtr-tiny
> >
> > I think these are useful troubleshooting tools that we ought to
> > install by default. mtr-tiny is the only traceroute tool included in
> > standard currently.
>
> I concur for strace (at least).
>
> > I think we ought to even consider adding gdb in addition to strace,
> > size allowing, since these two tools are rather complementary in
> > their use; but certainly, I'd prefer having strace over not having
> > either.
>
> I'd welcome gdb as well.

gdb is hardly a small application - 7Mb installed. From an embedded
perspective, I rather liked the idea of Standard getting smaller.

I'd rather see strace and gdb leave Standard. If one has to stay, let
it *not* be gdb.

It's not as if there is a gdb-tiny.

--

Neil Williams