Re: Override changes standard -> optional

On Wednesday 31 December 2008 08:09, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> > I think this needs to be at Priority: standard as a necessary step in
> > SELinux bootstrapping, but I realize this is contentious.
>
> Not really. SELinux is not even close to functional after a standard
> installation. For one thing, it gets installed *after* the initrd gets
> generated and the initrd does not get regenerated, so the admin has to do
> that manually after rebooting into the installed system.

There is no need to regenerate an initrd in Debian.

Having a modified initrd for SE Linux was an experiment that I tried in about
2003, and I determined it to be a failure.  Among other things relying on an
initrd meant that platforms without initrd support (such as Cobalt) would not
support SE Linux.

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2008/07/24/se-linux-policy-loading/

The recent plans by Red Hat and Ubuntu to modify an initramfs instead of
modifying upstart is something that I consider to be a great mistake (see the
above URL for more information).

I will personally write a SE Linux patch for every package that
provides /sbin/init in Debian which becomes generally supported (IE not in
experimental).

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog