Re: Override changes standard -> optional

On Wednesday 31 December 2008 08:09, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> > I think this needs to be at Priority: standard as a necessary step in
> > SELinux bootstrapping, but I realize this is contentious.
> Not really. SELinux is not even close to functional after a standard
> installation. For one thing, it gets installed *after* the initrd gets
> generated and the initrd does not get regenerated, so the admin has to do
> that manually after rebooting into the installed system.

There is no need to regenerate an initrd in Debian.

Having a modified initrd for SE Linux was an experiment that I tried in about
2003, and I determined it to be a failure.  Among other things relying on an
initrd meant that platforms without initrd support (such as Cobalt) would not
support SE Linux.

The recent plans by Red Hat and Ubuntu to modify an initramfs instead of
modifying upstart is something that I consider to be a great mistake (see the
above URL for more information).

I will personally write a SE Linux patch for every package that
provides /sbin/init in Debian which becomes generally supported (IE not in

http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog
http://doc.coker.com.au/           My Documents Blog