Re: Josselin Mouette and Planet Debian

Eduard wrote:
>#include <hallo.h>
>* Russell Coker [Thu, Dec 18 2008, 11:04:24PM]:
>> http://discuss.itwire.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7991
>>
>> From the above news article:
>> # Debian Project Leader Steve McIntyre told iTWire that after Mouette's "abuse
>
>I would like to know what exactly Steve told them. The major tone WRT
>OSS on that page seems to be pretty harsh, close to FUD and trolling.
>
>So how did Steve feed them, did he at all?

Hi Eduard,

Apologies for the delay in responding here. Crisis at work on top of
-vote stuff... :-(

Here's the full body of the message I sent to Sam. He contacted me
asking for my thoughts and I wrote the following:

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 08:53:24AM +1100, Sam Varghese wrote:
>Hi Steve
>
>Trusts this find you in good health and spirits.
>
>I am shortly running a story about the sexist post by Josselin Mouette
>and the fallout of the same.
>
>I would be grateful to know your reaction to the issue asap.

Hi Sam,

Things aren't too bad for me, thanks. Well, beyond the usual over-work
and lack of time anyway... :-) How are things with you?

I assume you're talking about Josselin's post to debian-devel-announce
on the 23rd of November [1]. Joss is, unfortunately, rather fond of
posting his own brand of "humour" when he wants to make a point, and
in this case his post was both ridiculously off-topic and juvenile.

Quite a number of people took exception to the content of his message,
as you've probably seen from the following discussions. I don't
believe he was actually trying to be *directly* offensive in what he
wrote, but his judgement is clearly not the best.

After his abuse of the ability to post to the d-d-a mailing list, I
asked our mailing list administrators to remove that privilege for in
future.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/11/msg00005.html

"I suspect most samba developers are already technically insane... Of
 course, since many of them are Australians, you can't tell." -- Linus Torvalds