Re: I hereby resign as secretary

>         In the years I have spent in this role since Darren left us,
>  I have tried to conduct the votes as I saw the rquirements of the
>  constitution, and the limitations of the voting software. But this
>  not a view shared by very many people.

I've always found your decisions and actions as Secretary to be
well-considered and founded in calm reason; and you've been very
patient, many times, in explaining that reasoning.

>         As to the people who emailed me that they are putting
>  together a petition for the DAM to have me removed from the
>  project, I hear you too. I am going to spend the next few days
>  evaluating how important the project is to me, and whether I should
>  save you the bother or an expulsion process.

Requests to remove you from the *project* seem completely without
basis. You need to make the decision you think is right, but I really
hope you don't let the haters get to you, and that you get your groove
back.

>         While I must say that the mistake for this ballot lies at my
>  door, I am very distressed at the amount of vitriol that saturates
>  the project communication channels now. Subjectively, this seems
>  worse now than the flame filled days of yore -- because, back then,
>  despite the apparent flames, people used to be amicable and
>  friendly with the people they occasionally had heated discussion
>  with. That seems to have passed, with real meanness being far more
>  prevalent than before.

All too true. Maintaining passionate discussion without harming
community cohesion is the job of us all, and we seem to be doing
significantly worse at it in recent times. Let's endeavour to keep
this episode of poor behaviour an isolated one, followed by a strong
recovery.

Thanks for your good work, Manoj, and I wish you well in deciding how
to spend your efforts. Know that you're welcome as a project member,
as an advocate of freedom, and as a clear voice of reason.

--
 \          “Rightful liberty is unobstructed action, according to our |
  `\        will, within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of |